Assistant Teacher Job Description:
The Assistant Teacher is responsible for assisting in the care and education of a group of 4-5 year olds as part of a teaching team under the guidance of a Lead Teacher. The Assistant Teacher will occasionally assist and provide support to Lead Teachers in other classrooms and on the playground. The Assistant Teacher assists in planning and implementing a play-based, nature inspired curriculum, working with parents and assessing the needs of individual children. The Assistant Teacher is supervised by and reports to the Preschool Director.
This position is for Mon-Fri (5 days) 8:30am-1:30 pm. Attending events outside of school hours may be required.
Successful completion of an Associate Degree in Early Childhood Education with 3-5 years experience or a 4-year degree with 1-2 years experience with children (ages 2-5) is preferred.
1. Support an emergent, play-based, nature inspired, developmentally appropriate program that nurtures children in body, mind and spirit.
2. Assist in planning and implementing experiences that promote language and literacy development, math and science concepts, creative and critical thinking, and physical development.
3. Assist in providing an integrated curriculum that meets the needs of individual children.
4. Assist in providing a balance between child-initiated and teacher-initiated activities.
5. Assist in providing a balance between quiet and active activities.
6. Involve the children in planning their learning.
Social and Emotional:
1. Assist in planning and implementing hands-on activities that develop social skills and a positive self-image.
2. Assist in planning and implementing culturally diverse experiences.
3. Assist in providing a wide variety of creative and expressive activities.
4. Support routines with smooth transition periods.
5. Communicate with children at their developmental level.
6. Encourage children to be independent as appropriate.
7. Use and promote positive guidance techniques and language.
Observation, Documentation, and Collaboration:
1. Share observations of children with the Lead Teacher and use the results of observations to assist in planning activities. Use classroom technology to document learning.
2. Collaborate with the Lead teacher on lesson plans.
3. Prepare supplies and materials needed prior to implementing activities.
4. Assist in keeping storage areas within the classroom organized, stocked and in order.
Maintain healthy and safe classroom environment:
1. Maintain daily cleanliness of the classroom including but not limited to: wiping off tables, washing dishes, etc.
Please send a letter of interest, résumé, and contact information for three references to OCP.Decatur@gmail.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Oakhurst Cooperative Preschool creates a nurturing community that gives children and their families the opportunity to learn, communicate, play and grow together. In this positive, family-centered educational environment, we strive to develop each child’s curiosity, empathy, confidence, self-discipline, and enthusiasm for learning.
By encouraging children to be active and creative explorers of art, music, literature, nature, and the community, we provide a foundation for acquiring the skills children need to succeed both now and in the future. We model sustainable practices through our curriculum, daily operations, and community events.