*** Registration for 2017 Summer Camp is now open ***
Looking for a fun, nature-based summer camp for your child? The summer camp program at Oakhurst Cooperative Preschool (in Decatur, GA) follows our school-year curriculum, with an emphasis on spending time outdoors and exploring nature.
Each weekly session is designed around a theme. At camp, the children:
- Are given extended time each day for free, unstructured play outside in our play garden
- Plant and help maintain and harvest our onsite garden plots
- Explore nature in the classroom through a seasonal nature table and a discovery area
- Work on projects that incorporate recycled and nature-sourced materials
- Learn about and participate in recycling and composting
Our half-day program (9:00-12:45) is open to potty-trained children ages 3 to 6. A lead teacher and a teaching assistant guide each class; unlike our school-year program, parents are not in the classroom as parent teachers.
Member and alumni registration period: February 15 – 28, 2017
Nonmember registration opens March 1, 2017
Click here to register!
Bumblebees (3- and 4-year-olds)*: 3-day camp (T/W/Th)
The Bumblebees class is open to 12 students per week.
Dragonflies (4-, 5- and 6-year- olds): 5-day camp
The Dragonflies class is open to 14 students.
* Member children must be 3 as of September 1, 2017. Nonmember children must be 3 as of June 1, 2017.
OCP’s summer camp runs for eight weeks. Camp begins on June 5, 2017, and ends on July 28, 2017. Families may register for individual weeks or all eight weeks.
- Week 1 — June 5-9: Camping Out: Exploring the Great Outdoors
- Week 2 — June 12-16: Out of This World: Space Exploration
(Waitlist only for Bumblebees class)
- Week 3 — June 19-23: Meet the Masters: Art & Artists
- Week 4 — June 26-30: Farm to Table: All About Food
- Week 5 — July 3-7 (no camp July 4): Back in Time: When Dinosaurs Roamed the Earth
- Week 6 — July 10-14: Young Scientists: Experiments and Discovery
- Week 7 — July 17-21: Encountering Our World: The Five Senses
- Week 8 — July 24-28: Under the Sea: An Ocean Adventure
Members and alumni during member registration (by February 28):
- 3-day camp: $120/week ($80 for week of July 4)
- 5-day camp: $185/week ($150 for week of July 4)
Nonmembers and members after March 1st:
- 3-day camp: $135/week ($90 for week of July 4)
- 5-day camp: $210/week ($170 for week of July 4)
Enrolled siblings receive a 10 percent discount.
A $50 deposit for each week of camp is due when you register. This deposit reserves your child’s spot in summer camp. Deposits are nonrefundable. The remaining balance is due by June 5, 2017. Payments can be made by:
1. Check and mailed to Oakhurst Cooperative Preschool, Attn: Camp, P.O. Box 2583, Decatur, GA 30031-2583. Please include your child’s name, class (Dragonflies or Bumblebees), “deposit” or “balance”, and number of weeks you are paying for on the memo line of the check.
2. Credit card via Square: https://squareup.com/store/oakhurst-cooperative-preschool
Scroll down and click on the Summer Camp Deposit link and enter the number of weeks for which you are applying in the quantity box. Credit card fees apply.
OCP reserves the right to cancel any camp week if minimum participation numbers are not met. Registrants will be notified of any cancellations no later than May 20, 2017. If OCP cancels any week of summer camp, all deposits for those weeks will be refunded.
We understand that sometimes it is necessary for a family to withdraw a child from a registered camp week for unforeseen circumstances. If you withdraw your child before two weeks (14 days) of the start of the camp week, your tuition, minus the deposit, will be fully refunded. If you withdraw your child within two weeks of camp, no refund will be given.
Oakhurst Cooperative Preschool (OCP) is now accepting resumes from qualified candidates for Summer Camp Lead Teachers and Teaching Assistants. Three- and five-day positions are available for the weeks of June 5 – July 28, 2017. Work hours are 8:30 AM -1:30 PM, Monday-Friday.
Our summer camp at OCP for 3-6 year olds is child-led, play-based, and nature-based. Activities are designed to stimulate a child’s imagination and development with an emphasis on integrating nature, all while having fun. It is preferred that candidates for Lead Teacher have a degree in Early Childhood Education or a similar field and classroom experience with preschool children. Teaching Assistants should have experience working with young children. All candidates must demonstrate enthusiastic, caring personalities and high levels of energy.
Paid training, planning, and orientation days will be required prior to the start of camp. Teachers are also expected to provide CPR and First Aid certifications or complete appropriate training. Background and reference checks are mandatory.
Pay for lead teachers is $16-18/hour, while TA pay is $10-$12/hour, depending on experience.
To learn more about OCP’s summer camp, visit the school’s website.
To apply: Please send a letter of introduction, a resume, and three references to email@example.com. No phone calls.
Oakhurst Cooperative Preschool creates a nurturing community that gives children and their families the opportunity to learn, communicate, play and grow together. In this positive, family-centered educational environment, we strive to develop each child’s curiosity, empathy, confidence, self-discipline, and enthusiasm for learning.
By encouraging children to be active and creative explorers of art, music, literature, nature, and the community, we provide a foundation for acquiring the skills children need to succeed both now and in the future. We model sustainable practices through our curriculum, daily operations, and community events.